Apple cider vinegar has been used for years as an ingredient in salad dressings, marinades, and more. But did you know it’s also great at getting rid of that fishy smell that permeates your hands after you touch raw fish? It works quickly to eliminate the smell, so it’s worth giving it a try if this happens to you! Here’s how to use apple cider vinegar to eliminate the fish smell.
What is ACV?
ACV is made from cider or apple must and has a pale to medium amber color. ACV contains 5% to 6% acetic acid and has a pH of 2.4. The main ingredients of ACV are water, sugar, carbon dioxide (as gas), malic acid, sorbic acid (as preservative), natural flavorings, and citric acid.
It is often used as an ingredient in home remedies. Because it has antibacterial properties that can help kill bad bacteria on the skin without harming good bacteria, which can lead to other health problems.
What neutralizes the smell of fish?
There are a few things that can help eliminate the fishy smell on your hands, one of which is apple cider vinegar. The acidic nature of vinegar helps neutralize the odor-causing compounds in fish. It has antibacterial properties that help keep your hands clean.
The other thing that neutralizes the smell of fish are salts, such as Epsom salts or sea salt. When you wash your hands with these salts, they will help to dry out the moisture on your skin that causes the bad smell.
Baking soda is another option for those who don’t want to try anything new. It won’t eliminate the smell, but it will help reduce it, so you do not smell like a lunchtime sushi platter all day long!
One word of caution about using these items, though: do not use too much because it could damage your hands!
Does apple cider vinegar get rid of smells?
Yes, apple cider vinegar can help to get rid of smells. The acidic nature of vinegar helps to break down and remove odors. Plus, the vinegar smell itself will dissipate quickly, leaving your home smelling fresh and clean.
If you want to use it on surfaces or fabrics:
- Mix 1/4 cup vinegar with 2 cups water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on any surface you need to freshen up.
- Soak a cloth in diluted vinegar (1 part vinegar mixed with three parts water) for clothing and furniture.
- Then put it over the fabric or furniture until all the liquid is absorbed into the fabric or furniture; allow it to sit overnight before removing.
How can vinegar and lemon juice be used to reduce fish odor?
Vinegar and lemon juice are two common household ingredients that can be used to reduce the odor of fish. When used together, these two natural substances can help to neutralize the strong smell of fish.
Steps to reduce the smell of fish with vinegar and lemon juice:
- Pour enough apple cider vinegar into a pot to cover the bottom
- Slice one or two lemons in half and put them in the pot
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat, then turn down the heat until it is simmering
- Let it simmer until you no longer smell any fishy odors.
Keep an eye on the pot, so it doesn’t boil dry. The vinegar will eventually evaporate, but the smell will linger. Once your pot has cooled off enough to touch, remove the lemon halves and discard them. Use a paper towel or rag to wipe out your pot and rinse it with hot water before use. If desired, add another few slices of fresh lemon before cooking your next meal!
How to use apple cider vinegar to eliminate fish odor?
No one likes the smell of fish. Whether it’s on your hands after cooking or in the garbage can after cleaning the fridge, it’s just not pleasant. But luckily, there’s a simple solution- apple cider vinegar.
Steps to using apple cider vinegar to get rid of the fishy smell:
- Pour 2 cups of distilled white vinegar into a bowl and let it sit overnight
- In the morning, pour this mixture over another two cups of distilled white vinegar and add an equal amount of water
- Add one teaspoon each of salt and baking soda
- Mix until combined, then shake well before use.
Spray it directly onto surfaces where you see lingering fish odor (including cutting boards). Leave this on for 10 minutes before wiping it with soap and water.
So, the next time you smell a bit like the ocean after cooking up a seafood feast, don’t hesitate to reach for the apple cider vinegar. A few quick swipes with this miracle ingredient will have you feeling fresh and smelling great in no time!