The Truth About Lysol: Is Disinfectant Spray and Surface Cleaner harmful?


Lysol, a synonym for disinfectant spray and surface cleaner, has received bad reviews. Most of these are exaggerated or false. What’s the truth about Lysol? Is it harmful to use Lysol? Should you avoid using Lysol? This article will discuss all these questions to ensure you have the information you need before purchasing and using Lysol as part of your home cleaning routine.

What are the ingredients in Lysol?

Lysol is a disinfectant spray and surface cleaner containing several ingredients, including ethanol, ethyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol; hydroxyanisole; and Phenoxyethanol.

Some of these ingredients can be harmful if inhaled or ingested and cause skin irritation. However, when used as directed, Lysol is generally safe to use.

Now, let us look at some of the other questions related to these ingredients. We are concerned about whether they are in Lysol and, if so, how harmful they might be.


Lysol does not contain bleach. Bleach is a chemical that is used to remove the color from fabric. It can also help disinfect surfaces. However, Bleach is also a corrosive substance that can cause damage to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. When misused, Bleach can release chlorine gas, which is harmful to humans.


Lysol does contain Ammonia. Ammonia is a substance that can be found in many household cleaning products. We use it because it is effective at cutting through grease and dirt. However, Ammonia can also be harmful if it is inhaled or comes into contact with skin. When using products that contain Ammonia, it is essential to follow the directions on the label carefully and to ventilate the area well.


Lysol does contain Permethrin, which is a synthetic chemical as an insecticide. While Permethrin is relatively safe for humans, it can harm animals. If you’re using Lysol products around pets, keep them out of the area until the surfaces have dried.


Lysol contains Phenol, which is a disinfectant and antiseptic. Phenol is corrosive and can cause burns. Inhaling Phenol can irritate the respiratory system and cause coughing and wheezing. Phenol can also be absorbed through the skin, leading to liver damage. Although Phenol is safe when used as directed, it is essential to use caution when handling it.


Lysol products do contain EVP or Ethyl-2-pyrrolidone. This ingredient is a solvent that helps to dissolve grime and dirt. While it is a safe ingredient, some people may experience skin irritation when exposed to it.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Lysol does contain hydrogen peroxide, which is a known disinfectant. However, some experts say hydrogen peroxide can be harmful if used in high concentrations. Lysol also contains other chemicals, such as alcohols and quaternary ammonium compounds, which can be irritating to the skin and respiratory tract. Overall, Lysol is considered safe to use when used as directed.


Lysol contains Chlorine. Chlorine is a greenish-yellow gas that is highly irritating to the respiratory system. Small amounts of Chlorine can cause coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Large amounts of Chlorine can lead to death. However, there is no evidence that Lysol is harmful when used as directed.


No, Lysol does not contain Benzene. Benzene is a carcinogen, which means it can cause cancer. Some studies have shown that long-term exposure to high levels of Benzene can increase the risk of leukemia, especially in children. However, the levels of Benzene in Lysol are deficient and not considered harmful.

Carbon Monoxide

Lysol does not contain carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled. High concentrations can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and even death. However, in low concentrations, carbon monoxide is not harmful.


Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, so it’s essential to be aware of its potential presence in Lysol products. Although Lysol products don’t list Formaldehyde as an ingredient, the chemical could be present due to the manufacturing process. However, the Formaldehyde in these products is typically meager and not considered harmful.


Lysol products do not contain any phthalates. Phthalates are a family of chemicals that make plastics more flexible and harder to break. Some studies have suggested that certain phthalates can disrupt the endocrine system. However, more research is needed to confirm these effects. Generally, it’s always a good idea to follow the instructions on cleaning products carefully and use them in well-ventilated areas.


Lysol does contain Triclosan, which is an antimicrobial agent. While it can kill bacteria and viruses, there is no evidence that it is more effective than soap and water at preventing illness. Some studies have shown that Triclosan may harm human health, as it can disrupt hormones and contribute to antibiotic resistance. However, the EPA has not classified Triclosan as a hazardous chemical.

Is it harmful to use Lysol?

Lysol is a cleaning product that many people use to clean their homes and offices. If you use too much of it, or if you don’t follow the directions on the label, Lysol can be dangerous. 

Here are some things you should know about using Lysol safely 

  • If you are pregnant, have allergies, or have asthma, then avoid using Lysol.
  • Lysol has an ammonia base, so it could irritate your eyes and respiratory system.
  • Wear gloves when applying it for best results. 
  • Do not mix with other household cleaners unless directed by the manufacturer because combining them may create hazardous fumes.

What to do if you mix Lysol and Bleach?

If you mix Lysol and Bleach, you should immediately open a window to ventilate the area and wash your skin with soap and water. If you plan on using both products, it is best to use them in separate rooms. 

Lysol is a trusted disinfectant name, but is the spray and surface cleaner harmful? The short answer is no–Lysol is not detrimental.

What to do if you accidentally ingest Lysol?

If you accidentally ingest Lysol, it is essential to seek medical attention immediately. In the meantime, rinse your mouth with water and drink plenty of fluids. Do not induce vomiting. If you experience any symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat or lips, or dizziness, call 911, or your national emergency number.

What to do if Lysol gets in your eyes?

If you get Lysol in your eyes, it is vital to act quickly. Rinse the affected eye with warm water for at least 15 minutes. If you wear contact lenses, remove them and continue rinsing. If irritation persists, seek medical attention.

What to do if you inhale Lysol?

If you have inhaled Lysol, it is vital to remove yourself from the area in which the cleaning product is present. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the site, and if possible, move to an outdoor location. Drinking fluids and avoiding hot beverages are essential, as they can worsen respiratory symptoms. If you are experiencing difficulty breathing, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.

What to do if the dog licks Lysol?

While Lysol is not considered poisonous, it can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. If your dog ingests a large amount of Lysol, it could also lead to more severe problems such as liver damage. If your dog licks Lysol, you must contact your veterinarian immediately.

Wrapping up

Lysol is a product of Reckitt Benckiser Group. It is a household cleaner that kills bacteria and germs. Lysol’s active ingredient is ethanol. Ethanol is a type of alcohol, and it’s considered to be denatured alcohol. It means it’s no longer safe to drink. When used as directed, Lysol is safe for most people. However, some people may be allergic to it. If you’re concerned about using Lysol, talk to your doctor or an allergist before using it.

Categorized as Q&A